1882, Calvin Wilson Matteer of American Presbyterians established Tengchow College in
Dengzhou , Shandong, China.
1884, British Baptists established Tsingchow Boy’s Boarding School, a Theological College, in Qingzhou, Shandong, China.
1902, the American Presbyterians and English Baptists agreed to combine their schools in Shandong, forming an Arts College at Weixian , a Theological College at Qingzhoufu , and a Medical College, in Jinan.
1909, the colleges were consolidated as Shantung Protestant University in Jinan. The campus was designed by the Chicago architectural firm of Perkins, Fellows and Hamilton. The main buildings were Bergen Science Hall for Chemistry and Biology; Mateer Science Hall for Physics and Physiology, McCormick Hall for administration, and the Kumler Memorial Chapel in the center.
1914, Cheeloo Hospital of Shantung Christian University was started to build and was completed in 1936.
1916 to 1923, the former Peking Union Medical College, the Medical Department of Nanking University, the Hankow Medical College, and the North China Union Medical College for Women all were moved to Jinan, combined to form the Cheeloo University School of Medicine.
1938-1945, during the Second Sino-Japanese War, the University joined five other universities to form West China Union University.
1952, the University was dissolved. College of Medicine was merged with the Shantung Provincial Medical College and the resulting Shandong Medical College occupied the entire campus. The College of Science was merged with the new National University in Nanjing while the College of Theology joined Nanking Theological Seminary.
Notable alumni and faculty
*B.A. Garside, professor of education,
*Lao She ,